Dress Code Policy for Benicia High School
Any clothing or accessories that are deemed inappropriate for the academic setting are prohibited. As it is the belief of Benicia High School that appropriate student attire and personal grooming are important, the following rules will be enforced.
- All clothing should be appropriate for an academic or professional setting.
- Any clothing that exposes undergarments is not allowed.
- Shoes must be worn at all times.
- Students must wear shirts at all times.
- Articles of clothing which display profanity, obscenity, vulgarity, or any other questionable printing; slogans or pictures promoting tobacco, alcohol, drugs, sex, weapons, or in any way interfere with school work or create disruption of the educational process are not allowed.
- Halter, strapless, back-less, spaghetti strap, or single-strap shirts are not allowed. Shirts which do not cover the midriff or chest area are not allowed.
- No shorts or skirts that end above one's fingertips with arms extended at their sides.
- No sagging pants - pants must be secure at the waist.
- No hanging belts - belts must not be more than one size too large or one size too small.
- No jewelry or chains which could be a safety or health issue or could be distracting in an academic setting. Spiked jewelry and wallet chains are not allowed.
- No netted clothing items, hair nets, nylon headgear, doo rags, or skull caps.
- No bandanas.
- No shoes with built-in skates.
- No metal teeth (grills).
- No clothing with weapons or ammo or other methods or mass destruction.
- Students are encouraged not to bring expensive clothing or shoes to campus. Benicia High School is not responsible for such articles if they should be damaged, lost, or stolen while on campus.
- Students are required to wear t-shirt, shorts, and tennis shoes for Physical Education classes.
Dress Code Violations:
First Offense - The item in violation will be confiscated and the student will be provided with a t-shirt and/or sweat pants to change into for the remainder of the school day. The confiscated item can be picked up at the end of the school day. Parent may be notified.
Second Offense - The item in violation will be confiscated and the student will be provided with a t-shirt and/or sweat pants to change into for the remainder of the school day. The confiscated item can be picked up at the end of the school day. After school detention will be assigned and the parent may be notified.
Third Offense - May result in a 1 to 5 day suspension as well as the item being confiscated without being returned. Parent will be notified.