Get ready Class of 2017! Our final days at Benicia High School are counting down. We have so many fun filled events and activities planned in the upcoming months. We put together this informational packet so you can keep track of all these important dates.
Benicia High School 747-8325
Principal, Ms. Kleinschmidt Main Office ext. 2307
School Office Manager, Ms. Feiglstok Main Office ext. 2313
Senior Class Advisor, Ms. Butts M9 ext. 2904
Class of 2017 Counselor, Ms. Wallace Counseling ext. 2107
Registrar, Ms. Tanner Counseling ext. 1312
Counseling Office Technician, Ms. McCann Counseling ext. 2111
Scholarships, Ms. Douglass H109 ext. 1396
Activities Director, Ms. Wheat M12 ext. 2907
ASB Bookkeeper, Mrs. Sapp A105a ext. 2324
Yearbook Advisor, Ms. Lesko B205 ext. 2422
Jostens Representative, Dan Grobeck 1 (925) 283-9283
Senior Class President, Ramona Glatzel
ASB President, Harper Tooch
Messina Photography, Veronica Tieks 745-3600 or go to http://www.messinaphotography.com/senior_portraits.php
Important Dates and Events
COLLEGE INFO NIGHT October 5th @ 6:45 pm, PAB Benicia High
HOMECOMING DANCE October 15th @ 7 pm, BHS Gym
SENIOR MEETING w/Jostens October 17th, PAB Benicia High
SENIOR PANORAMIC PHOTO October 20th @ 8 am, Outside the O Wing
FINANCIAL AID NIGHT October 25th @ 6 pm, PAB Benicia High
COLLEGE APPLICATION WORKSHOPS November 2nd, 9th, 16th @ Lunch, BHS Library
SENIOR NIGHT, FOOTBALL November 4th, Fairfield High
DEADLINE TO ORDER CAP & GOWN November 30th
& GRADUATION ANNOUNCEMENTS
PROM TICKET SALES March 13th – March 31st, Finance Office, Mrs. Sapp
PROM April 8th @ 8pm, The Galleria, San Francisco
GRADUATION ANNOUNCEMENT DISTRIBUTION Late April, early May
CAP & GOWN DISTRIBUTION Late April, early May
GRAD NIGHT TICKET SALES Aug - Jan 27th $100 ~ Jan 28th - Apr 14th $125
Apr 15th - May 26th ~ May 27th - June 10th $175
GRADUATION TICKET DISTRIBUTION Mid May
SENIOR TRIP TBD
AP TESTING WINDOW May 1st - 12th
SENIOR AWARDS NIGHT May 30th @ 7 pm
SENIOR BANQUET & YEARBOOK DIST June 1st @ 6 pm, Student Center, BHS
SENIOR SUNSET @ 9th St Park June 1st, after Senior Banquet
POWDER PUFF GAME June 2nd @ 7 pm, Football Stadium
GRADUATION PRACTICE June 9th @ 12:30, Football Stadium
GRADUATION CEREMONY June 10th @ 11 am, Football Stadium
DIPLOMA DISTRIBUTION June 10th, after graduation
GRAD NIGHT June 10th @ 9 pm, BHS
Senior Class Memorandum of Understanding
As a senior at Benicia High School, you are a campus leader. We expect you to demonstrate exemplary behavior that reflects positively on BHS, as well as yourself, at all times. The memorandum of understanding is written to clearly articulate that participation in any school-sponsored activities, including Prom and the graduation ceremony, are a privilege.
As a condition to participate in these activities, you must meet the following requirements:
1. Be academically eligible.
2. Be on course for graduation by earning a minimum of 160 credits at the beginning of senior year and remain on track by earning a minimum of 190 credits by the beginning of the second semester.
3. You shall not be suspended for any Education Code violations of 48900 subsections A.1, A.2, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O P, Q, R, or S; 48900.2, 48900.3, 48900.4, 48900.7, 48915 subsections A.1, A.2, A.3, A.4, A.5, C.1, C.2, C.3, C.4, C.5 that results in a suspension of 3 days or more at any time during your senior year.
It is the responsibility of the student and the parent/guardian to familiarize themselves with the contents of these Educational Codes. More detailed information about these codes and infractions can be found in the BHS Discipline Grid or by going to the California Department of Education where you can find more detail about education codes around student discipline, suspensions and expulsions.
This memorandum serves as your notice that as a BHS senior you understand that should you be suspended at any time during your senior year, you may be ineligible to participate in any of the remaining school-sponsored activities, including Prom and/or the graduation ceremony.
Please Take Note: In the event of ANY suspension where the days of suspension exceed beyond the last day of school, the student is not allowed on campus and is not allowed to participate in the graduation ceremony.
To the parent: your initials on the registration signature page note acknowledgment of all of the above conditions in this memorandum.
It is the goal of the Benicia High School administration that every single Senior participate in the graduation ceremony on June 10th, 2017, in our new stadium. We highly encourage you to follow the school rules and Educational Codes set by the State of California so you can participate in an exciting and memorable day for you, your friends, and your family members.
Mid Term Graduates and Independent Study
If you graduate mid-term or are on independent study and plan to participate in senior events and/or graduation, you are responsible for staying in touch with new information related to prom, announcement, cap and gown, etc. It is your responsibility to stay knowledgeable about dates and time of events. We will do our best to keep information up to date on the website, but we also suggest that you simply come by and talk to someone in person or just stay in touch with a senior.
Please remember that the school cannot accept checks after June 1st, 2017 for any fees, fines, debts, club, activity, or ticket purchase.
Please be sure to clear any and all debts as soon as possible. This year we are requiring all debts to be cleared in order to attend the prom on April 8th. Your signed mandatory memorandum of understanding will not accepted if you have any remaining balance. These may be for library books, textbooks, class activity fundraisers, or sports or club uniforms.
Eligibility to Participate in Senior Activities
A student must maintain a 2.0 or better grade point average in order to be eligible to participate in extracurricular and co-curricular activities for that grading period. The applicable marking period that can affect your ability to attend the prom is the 3rd quarter which ends on March 17th.
The BHS Prom will be held on Saturday, April 8th, 2017. For prom you are required to be dressed in formal wear going to and coming home from prom. No bags or backpacks may be brought into the venue. Girls may carry a small purse. Prom pictures will be taken at the venue.
Prom tickets sales will begin on March 13th and end on March 31st. Tickets will only be sold during breaks, lunch and before and after school until 4 pm in A105. Refunds for prom ticket purchases will be given up March 31st. Once we give our prom site numbers, we are committed to that many students for seating, food, and beverages.
Since it is still fairly early, ticket prices are an estimate range and are subject to change. All prom memorandums and bids must be printed by the student.
$120 - $135 for BHS Students There is a $10 discount for ASB card holders.
$120 - $135 for Guests. Guests must get approval from administration. The only acceptable guests are current high school students or recent graduates of Benicia High. No guest can be older than 20.
Cap & Gown & Graduation Announcement Distribution
Caps & gowns and graduation announcements will be distributed sometime in late April or early May. Listen for the announcement sometime in the spring.
Grad Night Ticket Sales
Ticket sales for Grad-Night go all year long. The prices go up in the following increments:
Aug 23rd – Jan 27th $100
Jan 28th – Apr 14th $125
Apr 15th – May 26th $150
May 27th – June 10th $175
You are encouraged to sell a pack of 10 raffle tickets. If you sell all 10 tickets it will pay up to $100 toward your ticket. All 10 tickets must be sold by and turned in by April 14th. The draw will be May 5th, 2017. For information related to Grad Night see Ms. McCann in the counseling office or go to www.beniciagradnight.net.
Senior Awards Night
Senior Awards night will take place Tuesday, May 30th in the PAB. If you are a recipient of an award, you may invite as many people as you like. Tickets are not required. If you have any questions regarding awards or scholarships, please contact Mrs. Douglass in the College/Career Center.
You will only receive one high school diploma and it cannot be replaced. Your transcript is your legal proof of graduation. A copy of your transcript can be requested from the registrar’s office at any time as long as no fines are owed. Each copy of a transcript will cost $5.00. Please see Ms. McCann or Ms. Tanner in the counseling office for transcripts.
Name Pronunciation at Graduation
If you know your name will be difficult to pronounce, or you wish it to be announced other than the way you request it to be printed on your diploma, please write a clear phonetic pronunciation on the card given to you during rehearsal.
Graduation practice will be Friday, June 9th beginning at 12:30. Lunch will be provided on the field until about 1:15 at which time all seniors will be directed into the gym. Attendance at practice is mandatory for you to participate in the graduation ceremony. Practice will take as long as it takes to master the routine but if we all work together we can finish before 2:30 pm. If you have any questions, see Mr. Thompson.
VIP Parking for graduation day will be available for purchase in early May. If interested, it is suggested you watch for an email from grad night in early May. Be prepared to pay on-line using a credit or debit card. These spaces go fast so respond quickly if you want one!!
All family members and guests must have a Class of 2017 ticket to be admitted into the stadium for the ceremony.
Our graduation will be held at the BHS Drolette Memorial Stadium on Saturday, June 10, 2017.
Graduation from high school is a voluntary ceremony that comes only once in a person’s lifetime. This ceremony is held as a special and highly regarded tradition that has meaning for all graduates and families of Benicia High School as well as the community as a whole.
1. On campus parking is very limited on graduation day. Graduates must be dropped off in order to save parking spaces for your guests at graduation. Students must be at campus by 9:45 AM on the day of the ceremony. Report to the gymnasium and find your row leaders.
2. Should anyone among your family or friends need assistance to the football field due to limited mobility, difficulty walking, wheelchairs, etc., they may be dropped off at the main entrance to the football field. Golf carts will be available to drive them into the stadium. There will be available special seating for guests that may require it.
3. Do not bring personal items with you to graduation. Leave purses, backpacks and personal items with your family. Do not bring them to the gym or to the ceremony.
4. You will be handed a blank diploma holder. You may pick up your diploma immediately following the ceremony at the concessions area. You will NOT receive your diploma immediately following the ceremony if:
· You have outstanding fines or fees
· You act inappropriately at any time during the ceremony
· You are under the influence of drugs or alcohol
5. Caps and gowns must be worn to participate in the graduation ceremony. Gowns must be zipped closed. Please press the gown after removing from the package, otherwise it is wrinkled. Sunglasses may be worn during the ceremony. Students are not permitted to carry balloons, signs or other objects that may interfere with other graduates viewing the ceremony.
6. Put your cap on the top of your head with the short point almost between your eyebrows. Tassels are to be worn over your RIGHT eye. At the end of the ceremony, you will change the tassel to the LEFT eye when told to do so.
7. Suggested attire: Gentlemen-- dress-collared shirts, slacks and dress shoes under caps and gowns. Ladies-- medium length dresses and dress shoes under caps and gowns. We highly recommend ladies do not wear high heels or wedges due to walking and ramps on and off of the stage area.
We are asking ALL parents/guardians to support us in impressing upon your son or daughter the dignity and honor of this special occasion.
Diplomas will be handed out immediately after the ceremony near the concessions area. Seniors who do not pick up their diploma on the night of graduation may pick up their diplomas in the front office between June 12th – June 22nd, 2017.